| ||Vancouver, Canada: Simon Ridgway, the President of Radius Gold Inc. (TSX-V: RDU), is pleased to announce the results of metallurgical testwork performed on a 90kg sample collected from underground workings on the Guapinol South vein at Radius's Tambor gold project in Guatemala (see press release October 22, 2007). The tests evaluated: |
1. the gold head grade and recovery by gravity concentration followed by cyanidation, and
2. the gold head grade and recovery by gravity concentration followed by froth flotation.
The study was undertaken by Dawson Metallurgical Laboratories, Utah, using a grind size of 80% passing 200 mesh or 75 microns.
The results were extremely encouraging and confirm the free milling, coarse grained nature of the gold at Tambor and its amenability to gravity pre-concentration as the principal method of recovery, followed by either cyanidation or flotation. The sample head grade ranged from 36g/t to 40.7 g/t Au.
• Significant coarse free gold was liberated during the initial ball mill grind at 80% passing 92 microns, with individual grains ranging in size from 1,560 microns to minus 34 microns
• Grinding, gravity concentration and amalgamation, followed by NaCN leach of slurry tails indicated a total gold recovery of 98% (head grade 40.7 g/t Au) with 55% of the total gold recovered during amalgamation (free gold grains), and 43% of the remaining gold recovered by cyanidation
• Grinding, gravity concentration and amalgamation, followed by CIL (Carbon in Leach) indicated a total gold recovery of 97% (head grade 36.6 g/t Au), with 61% of the gold recovered by amalgamation and 36% from carbon in leaching of slurry tails
• Grinding, gravity concentration and amalgamation, followed by flotation, indicate a total gold recovery of 86% (head grade 36.0 g/t Au), with gravity concentration recovering 64% of the gold and an additional 22% of the gold recovered by flotation of amalgamation tailings
The test results are similar to those undertaken by Goldfields in 2003 on similar material from the Laguna Norte deposit.
Background on the Tambor Property
Radius owns 100% of the Tambor project which was discovered by Radius in 2000 and advanced by Gold Fields through a joint venture until 2003. The gold mineralization is classified as being of orogenic lode-gold type. Gold Fields drill tested the Guapinol, Laguna Norte, Poza del Coyote and Cliff zones, and a Technical Report prepared by Chlumsky, Armbrust and Meyer LLC (CAM) of Lakewood Colorado (see Radius news release dated December 10, 2003) outlined a 43-101 compliant resource of 216,000 ounces of gold in inferred resources (2.55 million tonnes @ 2.64 g/t Au) and 57,800 ounces in indicated resources (456,000 tonnes @ 3.94 g/t Au) in three separate zones. In 2007, an underground exploration drift and four cross cuts were completed at the Guapinol South zone, in order to provide information on the structural controls, continuity and grade of the high grade gold mineralization. Targets for further exploration include two parallel east-west trending +50ppb gold-in-soil anomalies over a 7km trend between Laguna North and Guapinol South.
The company is looking to advance the property through a combined development/exploration scenario with a joint venture partner.
Assay Protocol & Qualified Person
The scientific and technical information in this release was prepared under the supervision of Mr. David Cass, Radius' Vice-President of Exploration, who is a member of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia, and a "Qualified Person" in accordance with National Instrument 43- 101.
For further information on Radius Gold Inc., please call toll free 1-888-627-9378 or visit our web site (www.radiusgold.com).
The TSX Venture Exchange has not reviewed and does not take responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release
ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD
Simon Ridgway, President
Investor relations: Ralph Rushton / Erin Ostrom
Symbol: TSXV-RDU; OTCBB-RDUFF
Shares Issued: 53.5-million
You can view the Next News Releases item: Thu Feb 28, 2008, Radius Provides an Update on its Nicaragua Exploration Programs
You can view the Previous News Releases item: Mon Feb 4, 2008, Radius acquires 100% interest in the Tlacolula property, Mexico, and reports 21.5m at 130.8 g/t Ag from initial channel sampling
You can return to the main News Releases page, or press the Back button on your browser.